Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cabbage, Apple & Ginger Salad

When I worked at a pediatrician's office, my boss passed along this recipe. My new doctor said I should eat more cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower (they are estrogen inhibitors), so I was excited to recover my photocopy of this delicious salad out of my mess of a recipe binder. It's considered a detox salad, but I don't like to think about that... just taste and see for yourself.

Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Laraine Perri, Health magazine, July 2008

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp peeled, grated fresh ginger
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp minced garlic
3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups packed shredded red cabbage
2 cups packed shredded Napa cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced Granny Smith apple
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup golden raisins,plumed in hot water
1/4 cup toasted, unsalted sunflower seeds

Preparation:
Whisk together first five ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk in olive oil, salt and pepper; set aside. Toss cabbages together in a large serving bowl. Toss apple slices with lemon juice to keep from browning. Add apple, raisins, and half of the sunflower seeds to the cabbages. Toss with the dressing. Garnish each serving with remaining seeds.

Nutrtiiton Notes:
*Cabbage is an estrogen inhibitor.
*Ginger improves circulation and has anti-inflammatory properties.
*Sunflower seeds are a good source of magnesium which, among other things, helps strengthen bones and calm one's nerves.

No comments: